We are a group of freshwater ecologists from the Biology Department at St. Catherine University in Saint Paul, Minnesota. Our research takes us to Iceland and other arctic regions where we are working to understand how temperature influences nitrogen fixation rates and metabolism in cyanobacterial assemblages. Nitrogen fixation is extremely sensitive to temperature and therefore nitrogen gas from the atmosphere may become more accessible to freshwater ecosystems as the climate warms. We are working to understand the potential ecological and environmental implications of changes in cyanobacteria species composition and nitrogen fixation rates in arctic lakes and streams.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Presenting our Work at the National Conferences on Undergraduate Research (NCUR)


Getting excited to give my talk!
After weeks of preparation, we were off to Lexington, Kentucky for the National Conferences on Undergraduate Research (NCUR). This conference showcases the amazing research that undergraduates are doing all across the country and even all over the world.
We arrived in Lexington to a cool breeze, which was a nice change from the snow we left in Minnesota. We were up at 7 am to head off to the conference for our first day of presentations. It goes without saying that most of us were fairly nervous about our presentations, not only giving them in general, but to give them in front of complete strangers.
I am willing to admit that I was extremely nervous to give my talk, but after practicing it a few times, I felt confident in giving it.

Describing the important role nitrogenase plays in nitrogen fixation
It was nerve-racking, but once I was done, it felt amazing to have given that kind of a talk; another thing I would have never done had I never been a part of this research. This research experience has definitely given me the confidence I need to do these types of things now without hesitation.  I am extremely thankful for these opportunities. Now we are turning our attention to our next conference in Portland, Oregon this coming May, where both Jackie and I will be presenting posters - but this time we will be presenting our work to an international audience of aquatic scientists.

No comments:

Post a Comment